Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Picked one helluva year to be a chicken herder.

I just wanted to make a few comments about how the price of corn stinks. I mean really stinks. Can I cuss some more than just in the title?  OK, last year I was paying round about $5 for a 50 lb bag of whole corn for the chickens. This year, it is over $10 for the same bag.  What just happened?  Is it all being foolishly turned into ethanol?  Or, have the Chinese fallen in love with the corn dog?  Right now I have three patches of corn growing. One at the city house, one at the farm and one is at William's house. With my commitment to the USDA to raise and sell chicken products, it is a tall order to turn a profit in such turbulent times. If my corn does come in, it will be weeks before it is ready to pick.  All of it is heirloom variety dent corn, multicolored in fact, red, green and blue. Couldn't just settle for plain old yeller.

The solution in my mind is to get rid of off-farm feed inputs. I hope to just raise as many animals as the land can support, and they can keep their high-dollar corn. That'll show em.

No comments:

Post a Comment